I am in the middle of a career transition, which means I am staying up late and stocking our deep freeze with very many easily defrostable suppers and generally just doing everything but writing for pleasure. However, I would be a huge jerk-head of I did not share this ridiculously easy and undeniably delightful recipe with you all. Right. Now.
Did you eat dairy as a kid? I actually lived exclusively on yogurt and Stoned Wheat Thins for an entire year, so, even though the thought of consuming another species’ baby food super grosses me out now, I do have fond memories of a certain flavour of yogurt that was divine: apple cinnamon. Are you a child of the late 80s/early 90s who grew up in BC? I will give you such a cuddle if you remember this flavour–could have been Dairyland, might have been Island Farms, perhaps it was Yoplait? Anyway, it was good. What I made this weekend? Sooooo much better! Lemon juice lends these tantalizingly tender apples just the right amount of tartness and a healthy blend of spicy goodness gives them a satisfying flavour that added sweetener only wishes it could. Do this….now!!!
Slow Cooker Spiced Apples
– 4-5 large locally grown apples, peeled, cored and chopped coarse
– 1/4 cup water
– 1 tbs lemon juice
– 1 large cinnamon stick, brocken in two
– 2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
– 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice OR 1/4 tsp each: ground nutmeg, ginger and cardamom
1. Put everything in your slowcooker or crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-7 hrs.
2. Let out a satisfied moan as you ingest. Serving suggestions? Serve over oatmeal, with pierogy, over vegan ice cream or just transport it directly from crockpot to belly.